Thursday, November 8, 2012

Tutorials are scary.......

So yesterday was my first tutorial for my module the 'Politcal System of Germany'. I was quite optimistic about it, as I thought it will give me a better understanding of the lectures, I will get to meet new people, and I will have a chance to work in a smaller group.

From the moment I stepped in that class everything went wrong. It was a complete disaster. Myself and Claire arrived 15 minutes early only to find that every seat in the class was already taken.
The German system for organising tutorials is completely different from Ireland. In Ireland, everybody must sign up for a tutorial time and when all the slots are taken.... tough. In Germany, people can just turn up to whichever class they feel suits them best. The result is about 50+ people in a room that can hold 30. Which meant that Claire and I had to find chairs and sit along the aisle.

That we could manage...

What really stressed us was the fact our German is nowhere near good enough to be able to participate in class. People were offering opinions, and answering questions and we had to content ourselves with sitting there trying to arrange our faces into some look that made the teacher think we had some clue as to what was happening.

The dreaded group work then happened, followed by an MCQ and I proceeded to keep my head down, praying to God that I wouldn't be asked anything....

Just when I thought I was getting somewhere with my German, (my everyday conversation is coming on a bit - well at least in my head) this class brings me crashing back down to earth, confidence smashed.

I am now dreading next week's class :(

No comments:

Post a Comment