Sunday, October 28, 2012

First Impressions

So I have been living in Germany now for the best part of two months and my new found friends have finally convinced me to start writing a blog. I find this quite a strange thing to do as I'm not sure that I want people reading my blog. However, I do realise that it would be nice to keep a written diary of my time here in Konstanz and that a blog is the best way of going about this :)

For me, being in Konstanz has been a major struggle. The transition did not go smoothly to say the least. After spending the first week crying and avoiding all contact with home, I sucked it up and skyped my parents, I was a mess, they were a mess, but I strangely felt better afterwards. Since then I have learned to deal with my homesickness. I still dread times when I have to spend long periods of time by myself, but thankfully my new friends, (or family as I would now consider them while I'm here), have helped to keep me busy and positive.

Since coming to Konstanz I have met loads of new people. This has been one of the more exciting parts of my stay here. It is the first time I have ever met and spent time with a load of young people from different countries. However, I still seem to have placed myself in an English speaking group, despite my best intentions, to make German friends.

As this is my first entry for my blog, I am trying to give a brief overview about everthing, and its proving difficult. Just this week alone we have started college and planned a very successful (if I do say myself ) surprise party for Claire's 20th. I think both of these topics deserve seperate entries so I will try to write about these during the week.

My apartment is another matter. I love the location of it. It's only a 10 minute walk from the University, and a quick bus ride away from the city. I suppose my biggest issue is that it is my first time living away from home so everything is strange to me, especially the fact I have no windows in my kitchen. When I first walked into the apartment I thought it was dark and a bit gloomy looking. But know I have gotten more used to it and its starting to feel like home. My bedroom was like a prison cell. EVERYTHING is white, and I mean everthing. The bed clothes, the desk, the walls, the wardrobe and the shelves. But know after a few weeks I have started to collect my own few accessories for the room and its starting to look and feel more like a bedroom and less like a cell. It's still a work in progress but it is getting better.

My prison cell bedroom :)


My roommate situation has been difficult, some might say awkward :) It has been difficult for me to get to know my roommates from the start as there has been a lot of changes of people since I first moved in. There is one person who has been here since the start and they have proved for me to be a bit of a struggle. This person is very socially awkward in situations and makes life in the apartment weird at times through their observations, and there directness. I may seem that I am being harsh, but until you have met this person, you cannot possibly understand what I am on about. Believe me my friends here are all in agreement :)

While I have been here we have had a few outings, including the Konstanz Oktoberfest, the Insel Mainau and the Sealife Aquarium.

Jellyfish at the Aquarium
 
 

 

 

The Insel Mainau
 
Im hoping that while I'm in Germany, I get to experience new things, make lots of new friends, get to travel loads, and finally (I suppose I have to include it), improve my German.
Bis Bald,
Alice
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment